Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Elizabeth (Tobin) & Kevin Eddy



Photographs by Ayer Photography

How We Met
I knew that I wanted to marry Kevin the moment that I saw him. I didn’t feel lightheaded or like I had been hit by lightening. I felt a comfortable sense of calm when I saw Kevin. It was as if the thing that I had been waiting for was finally here. I just knew and I felt safe and quiet and happy. Kevin says that he knew I was his future bride when I stood in line for hours at an autograph signing and never complained.





The Proposal
Kevin proposed on December 18th, 2007.

At the time, I was living with my parents in Rutland and Kevin was living in an apartment in Proctor, only seconds away from his sister, her husband and their children Nathan (then 2) and Catherine (then 4). Kevin called that evening and I was exhausted. Only 4 hours earlier I had finished my nursing final exam for the semester. I was stressed, anxious and very, very tired. My younger sister was expected to arrive home from college in a few hours and I was looking forward to spending time with her and decorating the Christmas tree with my family. When Kevin called he insisted that I come to his sister’s house. Catherine had a special Christmas present that she needed to give us immediately. I told him I wanted to stay home and relax and decorate the tree – maybe I would see him tomorrow.

I eventually called Kevin to tell him I was on my way and I few minutes later I arrived at Kelly’s house in Proctor. I sat on the couch and Kevin came around the corner. He was holding Catherine and she was dressed as an angel (for Halloween that year my mother-in-law made her a wonderful angel costume that came in quite useful). Kevin came towards me and said, “Catherine has something she would like to ask you.” He got down on one knee. I had no idea what was happening. He handed me a small wooden box. I still had no idea what was happening. Despite Kevin being on one knee and me holding a box perfectly designed to hold a wedding ring, I still had no idea what was happening.



Finally, Kevin and Catherine said together, “Will you be my Auntie?” I still had no idea what was happening. Kevin told me to open the box and then I finally realized that this was it. Kevin was finally proposing. He had me convinced it was never going to happen. So before I could Yes! or I love you, I said, “I hate you, you jerk,” and a few other choice phases. I was laughing and crying and telling Kevin I hated him. And then in between my tears and laughs, I said yes. I can still hear Kelly squealing and prancing around in the background. I of course did not hate Kevin. He just had me believing he wasn’t ready. For that moment to finally be happening was just unbelievable to me.





Special Details
Our wedding ceremony and reception were full of personal touches. It is one of the many reasons our guests had such a wonderful time and why our wedding was so memorable. The ceremony was performed in front of a wishing well at the Echo Lake Inn. At the end of our ceremony we tossed pennies into the well. Each penny was created in the year that we were born. The penny represented the hopes and dreams that we had for ourselves and the wish for a long and happy marriage together.



Click here to read more of Elizabeth and Kevin's Love Story.

Elizabeth was the cover bride for the summer edition of Vermont Bride magazine. This and other articles from Vermont Bride Magazine's Summer edition are being uploaded daily. Click here to check out other articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment